- “For Love and the Colts,” an essay published on SI.com the day after Super Bowl XLI that became the germ of Comeback Season.
- 2013 podcast reading about how to handle advice-seekers, on The Drunken Odyssey ~ A Podcast About the Writing Life.
- Brief 2013 statement to Brian Furuness for Brevity magazine, on fighting despair over writing.
- 2012 interview with Wendy Skinner for Sleet magazine about Midwest Gothic, strong female characters, and literary citizenship.
- 2012 interview for Historic Muncie project on “Creatives Living in the Emily Kimbrough District of Muncie” with my neighbor and BSU colleague Maura Jasper.
- 2012 interview with Lindsey Riley for Ball Bearings, Ball State’s magazine. A multi-media feature on the Peru Amateur Circus!
- 2011 interview by Linda Earle for GLCA New York Arts Program Alumni Newsletter–an interview about when I worked at Interview magazine!
- 2011 interview by Sara Phinney for a story on The Circus in Winter: a Musical for Indiana Public Radio 92.1 WBST.
- 2010 interview on the Ball State University English Department blog.
- 2010 interview with David Inge on WILL Urbana’s Focus.
- 2009 and 2006 podcast interviews with Ellen Wadey on WYEP Pittsburgh’s Prosody.
- 2008 Interview with Regis Behe in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- 2008 interview with Bryan Furuness for Hobart literary journal online.
- 2005 interview with Kurt Andersen on PRI’s Studio 360.
- Review of The Circus in Winter by John Warner in The Staff Recommends.
- Review of The Circus in Winter by Gary Krist in The New York Times.
- Review of The Circus in Winter by Michael Pakenham in The Baltimore Sun.
- Review of The Circus in Winter in Kirkus Reviews.
- Review of Comeback Season in Cynthia Closkey’s blog My Brilliant Mistakes.
- Review of Comeback Season by Rita Kohn in NUVO, Indianapolis.
- Review of Comeback Season by Samantha Bennett in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Readings and Talks
The Circus in Winter: The Musical
- Goodspeed Musicals’ CIRCUS_Audience Guide
- Hartford Courant article about Circus.
- Playbill article on Hunter Foster.
- Ben Clark singing “Never Alone” at the Palladium.
- Article about the book and musical in The Batesville Herald-Tribune.
- Ball Bearings Magazine video presentation about the history of the Peru Amateur Circus.
- Punchnel’s essay on the centennial of the Miami County Flood.
- STAGE magazine’s feature by Pat Maley: “The Circus in Winter: A New Musical on a Unique Journey.”
- Punchnel’s feature by Josh Flynn on the journey the musical has taken
- A NAMT interview with the writers of The Circus in Winter, Beth Turcotte and Ben Clark
- Sutton Foster cast in The Circus in Winter.
- “From Ball State to the Big Apple: Circus in Winter advances to national festival”
- Full list of the national award winners from the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival
- “Ball State Theater Production Up for Awards.” Muncie Star Press. March 25, 2012.
- “From Page to Stage,” Katherine Greene, Ball State Alumnus Magazine. November 2011, pp. 12-13.
- Download the soundtrack.
- “It takes a circus.” Lou Harry, Indiana Business Journal.
- “An absolute must-see musical.” Erik Deckers. Indiana Insider Blog.
- TV commercial featuring Ben Clark, who wrote the music and lyrics and another video about the adaptation process.
- Videos from the production: Amazing, If I Could Know You, and Circus Day
- Photos of the production, courtesy Ball State Daily News.
- “Circus Musical: Peru native’s book being staged at Ball State.“ Danielle Rush. Kokomo Tribune.
- Feature on Christopher and Justin Swader, set designers for the musical, from the Evansville Courier & Press.
- “Big Top Hits the Stage,” from the Ball State University website.
- “The Circus in Winter Comes to Muncie Civic Theater.” Ball State University English Department blog.
- Article in Ball State’s alumni magazine
- The Circus in Winter: The Musical website.